Located in Cidade Universitária, the Lisbon School of Medicine (FMUL) is one of the Faculties that belongs to the University of Lisbon. Located in one of the widest areas of Lisbon, its access is privileged, with a transport network that takes students anywhere to the university campus, making it the perfect place to study, socialize between faculties and experiences, as well as have regular sports practice, either in green outdoor spaces, or by accessing the various equipment available throughout the campus.
The courses offered at FMUL have diverse curricular structures, supported by a group of lecturers who are part of prestigious national and international academic centres and specialists, seeking to contribute to the individual training of students as well as to the advancement of scientific research.
The educational offer is, therefore, part of FMUL’s mission, looking at teaching and research in Medicine and Sciences as the essential pillars for the promotion and development of Health. The increasing work of advanced training is due to the creation and dissemination of science, technology and culture, through a large number of researchers whose projects are increasingly funded and published. The training offer benefits from excellent academic, scientific, technical and laboratory conditions, as a result of its integration in the Lisbon Academic Medical Centre that brings together Medicine, Science and hospital experience.
The Lisbon School of Medicine also has autonomous Research Units, the Institute of Molecular Medicine (iMM), and the Institute of Environmental Health, where several researchers interweave their activity in the hospital or academic area.
In the richness of the exchange in its own historical past and constant interaction between multidisciplinary areas, the Lisbon School of Medicine brings together experience, tradition, and modernity, always at the forefront of technology, feeding it with knowledge.
Applications open from 25 May to 10 July.
Note: In the case of the Doctoral Programme of the Lisbon Academic Medical Centre, applications are open permanently.
The application (*) contains the following steps:
1. Select the period (academic year)
2. Select the type of application
- IAT International Student Master Degree; or
- IAT National Student Master Degree; or
- IAT Ph.D.
- IAT Specialisation Course
3. Fill the online form
4. Upload Curriculum Vitae
5. Upload application letter with statement of objectives
6. Upload declaration of honour (applicable to international students)
7. Upload copies of qualifications certificates.
* Payment of an application fee in the amount of € 100 (non-refundable, except in case of non-opening of the course)
Can I apply in person?
No. The application is made online by filling out a form, available on this page.
Which Curriculum Vitae model?
The European model is suggested.
What is intended with the motivation letter?
The Motivation Letter is a document that accompanies the other documents requested in the application. In the motivation letter, you candidates must indicate the personal and professional motivations underlying the application.
What is intended with the statement of objectives?
It is intended that candidates briefly and concisely state their research interests to be developed within the course to which they are applying.
Is it possible to submit the application with missing documents?
Yes, however, as some documents are mandatory, e.g. qualifications certificate, it is always necessary to attach a document, otherwise the system will not allow candidates to complete their registration.
Missing documents should be sent as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is it possible to submit the application without having finished the degree?
Yes, if candidates do not already have their certificate, at the date of application, they can submit the list of subjects completed issued by the academic services of the educational institution where they studied for the degree. The application will be pending and conditional until submission of the degree certificate.
How can I pay the application fee?
The application fee is issued in students’ names and is paid through ATM references. However, in specific situations, namely in cases where the fee is paid by other entities or institutions on behalf of the students, they must be paid directly at the Faculty's Fees Office and cannot be paid at ATM references.
Is it possible to make payments from abroad?
It is possible to paid from abroad. Send an email to email@example.com requesting the bank details (swift code) for payment by bank transfer.
How do I know the results?
During the course of your application, you will receive e-mail indications of the its status.
I don't remember the username or password for the CAMPUS account, what should I do?
If you do not remember the username or password for the Campus account, you must go HERE and follow the instructions for recovering the username or password.
I can't recover my username or password, how do I proceed?
Full name; Student number; Course number; Identification number (BI/CC); External email.
What to read before starting the application!
Candidates are selected by the Course Scientific Committee, taking into account the information presented in the application process and, if justified, by means of an interview, according to the notice of each course.
Applicants are contacted by email to confirm, when applicable, the date and time of the interview.
In the event that the academic degree has not yet been completed at the date of the opening of applications, candidates can make a conditional application.
If this situation applies, it is necessary to present the transcript of records of subjects completed to date.
For purposes of attending the course, the application can be considered as “conditionally -placed”. When formalizing the registration, candidates must prove that they have completed the degree.
Disclosure of the application results
The results are made available on the Fénix portal, with the sending of an email message informing the result of the ranking process.
The amount to be paid for the application is 100 €, with no refund if the candidate is excluded or not selected.
At the end of the application process, an ATM reference is issued to make the payment. The reference is active immediately.
The application fee is issued in the names of the candidates. However, in specific situations, namely in cases where the fee is paid by other entities or institutions on behalf of the applicant, it must be paid directly at the Faculty's Fees Office.
Fees Office opening times
Mon /Tue / Wed – 10h-13h | Thu / Fri – 10h-13h / 14h-16h
Access to the international regime covers students who, cumulatively:
1. Do not have Portuguese nationality, except:
- Nationals of a member state of the European Union
- Family members of Portuguese or nationals of a member state of the European Union, regardless of their nationality
- Those who, not being nationals of a member state of the European Union, have legally resided in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, on 1 January of the year when they intend to enter higher education, as well as the children residing with them. The residence time for study is not relevant for this purpose
- Beneficiaries, on 1 January of the year when they intend to enter higher education, with the status of equal rights and duties attributed under the international treaty between the Portuguese State and the State they are nationals of.
2. Relatives of Portuguese or nationals of a member state of the European Union, regardless of their nationality, are:
- The spouse of a European Union citizen
- The partner with whom a European Union citizen lives in a de facto union, established under the law, or with whom the European Union citizen has a permanent relationship duly certified by the competent entity of the Member State where he resides
- The direct descendant under the age of 21 or who is dependent on a European Union citizen
- The direct ascendant dependent on a European Union citizen
Candidates must have academic qualifications in the scientific area (s) of the study cycle to which they are applying.
Specific Requirements for Admission:
1. The persons listed below can apply for enrolment and registration in a cycle of studies leading to a master degree:
- Holders of a bachelor degree or legal equivalent
- Holders of a foreign higher education degree awarded following a 1st cycle of studies organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this Process
- Holders of a foreign higher degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of a degree by the Scientific Council of the School where they intend to be admitted
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of the School where they intend to be admitted
2. The persons listed below can apply for enrolment and registration in a doctoral cycle of studies:
- Holders of a master degree or legal equivalent
- Holders of a bachelor degree, or legal equivalent, holding a particularly relevant academic or scientific curriculum, which is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of the School where they intend to be admitted
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of the School where they intend to be admitted
3. In this context, the degrees recognized under the terms of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of 16 August, as well as degrees that have been recognized or considered equivalent under previous legislation, are considered legal equivalences.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Display of identification document (passport, foreign citizen card or other suitable document), or, when authorized by the candidate, simple photocopy of the identification document
- Declaration, under honour, that the candidate does not have Portuguese nationality and is not covered by any of the conditions that, according to the ISS, do not confer the status of International Student (Modelo)
- Documents attesting access qualifications
- Documents proving linguistic competence, when applicable
- Other documents that the competent bodies of the School where the application is made to deem necessary for analysing the application
The documents attesting qualifications must meet the following requirements:
- Be issued by the competent authority of the country where the qualifications were obtained
- Whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, they must be translated into one of these languages
- When issued by institutions from non-EU countries, they must be legalized by a Portuguese consular agent or by the Hague Apostille. These legalizations must be made in the country of origin of the documents.
The tuition fee may be paid, in full or in instalments, according to the deadlines and amounts indicated in the tuition fee determination for the academic year 2020/2021. Consultar
12% reduction for employees of institutions affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine
Under the terms of the collaboration protocols entered into and which can be found on the FMUL portal at https://www.medicina.ulisboa.pt/instituicoes-afiliadas, they benefit from a 12% reduction on tuition fees.
After being informed that they have been admitted, they must, for this purpose, send an application addressed to the Faculty Management Council, accompanied by a document attesting they belong to the affiliated institution, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application fee is issued to the candidates. However, in specific situations, namely in cases where the fee is paid by other entities or institutions on behalf of the applicant, it must be paid directly at the Faculty's Fees Office.
The tuition fee is issued to the students and can be paid through an ATM reference or directly at the FMUL Fees Office. However, in specific situations, namely in cases where tuition fees are paid by other entities or institutions on behalf of the student, these must be paid directly at the Faculty's Fees Office, and cannot be paid by ATM reference.
Fees Office opening times
Mon /Tue / Wed – 10h-13h | Thu / Fri – 10h-13h / 14h-16h
The training offer through the study of individual course units enables deepening and updating knowledge, as well as acquiring multidisciplinary training.
The following persons may apply to study individual course units:
1. Students from any school at the University of Lisbon, enrolled in study cycles distinct from the cycle to which the course unit belongs;
2. Students external to the University of Lisbon, enrolled in study cycles from another higher education institution;
3. Other interested persons, provided they have a degree or a legal equivalent.
In each academic year, the maximum number of individual course units to which a candidate can apply cannot exceed the total of 30 ECTS.
Registration depends on the availability of places in each course unit. The maximum number will be defined by the competent body of each School. Applications for dissertation/internship report/project work/thesis/thesis seminar or other course units of the same nature are not allowed.
Applications, deadlines and payments
For the application, the payment of the fees set by the School Management Council is due.
1. The amount to be paid for enrolment in individual course units is defined by the competent body of the School taking into account the following:
- the number of credits of the course unit
- the amount of the fee charged in the study cycles in which the course unit is offered
- the possible charges that attending the course unit may imply in terms of equipment, consumables and human resources
2. School insurance payment will be added to the registration fee.
3. The amount due for enrolment in the individual course unit will be paid in full by the student to the School where he/she attends the individual course unit.
4. The specific conditions regarding deadlines, available places, application and selection process, registration fee and taxes, as well as possible restrictions must be consulted in the Call for applications to be read here.
5. The course units can be viewed on the page of each master, doctoral and specialization course.
Mobility within ULisboa
Students who intend to attend a course offered at another school, and in order to include it as an elective in the cycle of studies conferring the degree in which they are enrolled, must apply for it at the Advanced Training Institute - ATI, at the beginning of each semester upon written request.
The application, after being analysed and accepted, is sent by the ATI to the intended school where, after checking the presence of conditions that allow the acceptance of the student, register the student.
For the student, there is no payment in addition to the normal payment of tuition fees defined by the FMUL for the academic year in which he/she is enrolled.
Instituto de Formação Avançada
Edifício Egas Moniz
Horário de funcionamento
2ª, 3ª e 4ª: – 10h - 13h
5ª e 6ª: – 10h - 13h / 14h - 16h